Saturday, May 21, 2011

Eighteenth Day on the Road

Today started in Kingman. I packed up my bike and started down the road. It didn't take long for me to find several thing to photograph. I ended up stopping at Mr D'z Route 66 Cafe. I had already had coffee and a cresant at Starbucks so I settled on a rootbeer float... Great float. This place was kinda cool. Over the PA was a radio program from the '60s. Of course, there was a gift shop there too.









Right after leaving the cafe, I found a mural on another route 66 museum building. This is just a block up the street from the cafe.






Shortly after this stop I was on the road for a while. My next stop was a small shop that was in the middle of nowhere. The place was called Cool Springs. It was a gift shop with a bathroom and some food and water. I don't remember if it was a gas station too but it was all by itself on the top of a hill. The guy who ran the place was pretty cool to talk to. He shared some info on the area and the different surrounding roads.









My next stop was a fun one. I had to go about 20 miles of twisty canyon roads to reach the city of Oatman. This city is interesting. There are mules walking around freely, all the building are western styles, and they re-enact an old western gun fight in the streets. I had lunch here before moving on.









There were several short stops after Oatman but for the most part, it was all desert wastelands all the way to Barstow.






Barstow was my stopping point for today. There is another ~2 hours to Santa Monica. It is possible tomorrow may be my last entry depending on if I feel up to continuing on to Northern California. Until I know, I'll be seein' you from the road.

Total miles traveled today: 246



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Barstow,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment