Thursday, May 19, 2011

Seventeenth Day on the Road

There are no pictures from today's ride. I was actually off Route 66 for the entire day. I dropped off my bike at Victory BMW in Chandler, AZ. I then went to hang out at a Dunkin' Donuts with my iPhone and a wifi connection.

As they were wrapping things up, I saw they had cruise control components for the GS. I had them install the parts only to find that they didn't have the set for my model year...bummer. They were done with my bike at 2:30 in the afternoon.

While I was waiting for my bike I was trying to figure out how I was going to get back to Route 66. I wanted to go back to Flagstaff which is where I deviated yesterday from the route but they received 4 inches of snow last night. They were expecting ice storms this morning that were expected to turn into heavy rain by the afternoon.

Looking at the maps, I17 leads to Flagstaff and I40. The other route, 93 north, also goes to I40 but it links up with the interstate about 20 miles east of Kingman. Taking this route would eliminate a segment of route 66 that I will not travel. Well, because of safety, I chose to go directly Kingman.

Highway 93 takes you though an empty area. In fact, google maps says it all:



The road itself is really fun. It was like a roller coaster without the train cars. The way up to the top of the mountain was a steep climb. It seemed to me the grade was much larger than 6%. Once at the top there were long straights with ups and downs that, when taken at high speeds, feel like an amusement park ride! That was so much fun. This was ~150 miles to get to Kingman. The weather was nice throughout the ride and is expected to be nice for the next couple of days.

This is pretty much it for the day. Once again, I'm sorry for such a poor update but I was more interested in getting back to the route as soon as possible than stopping and snapping some pictures. Tomorrow's update will be better and will have some pic. Until then, I'll be seein' you from the road.

Total miles for the day: 237 miles.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Historic U.S. 66,Kingman,United States

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure about America, but we know Anthony run on Dunkin'.

    ReplyDelete